We see a steady rise in everything going online. Eventually, you might want to get on board and have decided to set up your website. Or have decided to revive your existing website. One of the ways to get people to your website is with SEO. This article will explain all about what is SEO and why it is important for your business. So, let’s get started.
What is SEO and why is it important?
SEO focuses on improving the ranking in the non-paid search results. SEO should be part of your marketing efforts if you have a website and want to get more traffic—the better visibility of your pages in search results, the more likely to attract prospects to your business.
The most important thing to remember is that there is no shortcut in SEO. It would be best if you did things in the right way to stand out from other competitors. Expect to devote atleast six months to see the results.
- Quality of Organic Traffic – You get high-quality traffic that includes visitors who are genuinely interested in your products/services or other resources that your site offers.
- Quantity of Organic Traffic – The more high-quality visitors you attract to your website, the more likely you will see an increase in valuable conversions. Thus, having the right SEO strategy can help you rank relevant pages on top results in search engines.
How does SEO work?
Next, algorithms analyze pages in the index, considering hundreds of ranking factors to determine the order of pages that should appear in the search results. The search algorithms are designed to surface relevant, authoritative pages and provide users with an effective search experience. Optimizing your website and content for these factors can help your page rank higher in the search results.
Types of SEO
While search engines look at a website, ranking is performed at the page level. That is why it is important to pay attention to each page on your website.
Some On-Page SEO tactics include:
- Keyword research – Determine the terms and phrases you want to rank for. Do some keyword research, find which keywords have high relevance, search volume and consider terms with less competition. Once you have determined the keywords, write content around them to optimize the page.
- Optimize metadata – Make sure your meta titles and meta descriptions include relevant content and keyword phrases to have a better chance to rank higher. Metadata informs Google and other searchers about the content of the page.
- Interlinking – Internal linking links to other pages in your website. Insert links on keywords and link to high-authority pages to help Google and other search engines read your site and make it more user-friendly.
Some Off-Page SEO tactics include:
- Guest Post – Many blogs and publications accept and publish posts that you pitch to them. Make sure your site is relevant to the content you are pitching and include a link back to your company.
- Competitor research – Find out where your competitors are acquiring backlinks from. Check out the backlink profile of your largest competitors to target those sites to get a backlink for yourself.
Make sure your acquired links are earned from authoritative sites, bring qualified traffic, are follow links, and are from relevant sites.
Some technical SEO tactics include:
- Site structure – Use HTTPS hypertext, user-friendly URL, easy navigation hierarchy, and consistent internal links to ensure concise site structure.
- Mobile-friendliness – Many users move from desktop to mobile devices to perform searches for products or services. Check your site on a mobile device to ensure that it is user-friendly.
- Speed of website – The faster website is always better and hence ensure that your template is simple and optimize your visuals.
- Optimize Google My Business
- Ensure your name, address, and phone number are consistent online
- Optimize online directories and citations
- Add location to your website
Some tactics for YouTube SEO include:
- Conduct keyword research
- Use a good video title
- Add tags to the video
- Write good descriptions
- Create transcriptions and captions for videos
- Create videos longer than 2 mins
Some tactics for mobile SEO include:
- Improve your site’s load time – When users search for information online, they want immediate access to it. If your website doesn’t load fast, they will leave your page. Hence it would help improve your site’s load time to keep your users on your mobile site.
- Have a responsive design – Responsive design adapts to any device a user uses. Whether a smartphone or tablet, your audience will get the best experience.
- Optimize title and meta descriptions – These two elements determine whether someone clicks on your listing on search results. Title tags serve as a preview of your page. A good title tag utilizes your keywords and should be descriptive. It should inform your audience what they will find on your page. The meta description provides additional information about the page.
Let me know in the comments below if this article helped you understand the basics of SEO and how will you start implementing it in your website?